The different types of wood used for high end furniture and their respective characteristics and benefits.
Wood furniture has long been a very popular type of furniture, especially as recliners for outside. Despite the popularity of other materials such as stainless steel and plastic, wood remains to be a favorite when it comes to high end furniture.
There are many different types of wood used for various kinds of furniture and the key in getting good quality furniture is in the type of wood used. Hence, when shopping for the furniture, also for high end leather furniture, it is important to choose any of the best types of wood that you can get. Below are these types of wood to serve as your guide when you shop for your wooden furniture.
- Oak. Not only is oak popular as wood for furniture, it is also often used in floors, cabinets, and kitchens. Although oak wood tends to yellow over time, it is very hard and durable. Aside from this, oak often has very visible grains. There are two types of oak that you can choose from, red oak or white oak. The main difference between these two is their shades. While red oak has a pinkish hue, white oak has a lighter shade.
- Mahogany. A lot of high end furniture such as formal dining room furniture are mahogany furniture. When it comes to strength, mahogany, along with oak, is among the strongest and most durable. Mahogany can withstand moisture well so they are often used as mahogany doors, mahogany dining tables, and even mahogany outdoor furniture. However, mahogany wood is getting scarce because even though there are plantations that grow mahogany specifically for furniture, mahogany takes a long time to grow.
- Maple. Despite being known for being light, maple wood is very hard. Maple wood is often stained in a honey brown color when used in furniture. However, maple is difficult to stain evenly so inspect maple furniture well to ensure that it is stained evenly. Maple is also popularly used in wooden musical instruments such as violins and guitars.
- Walnut. If you are into dark wood furniture, then walnut wooden furniture is a good choice for you. The color of walnut is a dark, rich brown. Like most wood used for high end furniture, walnut is hard and durable. Walnut has a beautiful texture whether you stain it or leave it natural.
- Cherry. Contrary to what old wooden furniture made from cherry may show, cherry is almost always light to medium brown. The dark cherry furniture that you can sometimes come across is created by dark finishes that are applied on the wood. However, cherry wood does darken over time whether it is stained or not. Since cherry wood darkens over time, make sure to constantly move items that are placed on the furniture such as books on shelves or a glass display on the table to ensure that the wood darkens evenly.
About the Author:
Aggie Aviso is a freelance consumer and business writer, writing comprehensive reviews, articles and how-to’s.