The Modern Mom
March 14, 2012
0 Flares 0 Flares ×

It’s a situation every parent dreads. The phone rings at an extremely odd hour. You pick it up, and on the other end is your teenage daughter or son. They have just been charged with a DWI, or driving while intoxicated, and they are looking for your help.

Image Courtesy of Flickr

The first instinct, as a parent, is to scream, rant and rave at your child for making such a huge life-altering mistake. After that initial, emotional response has subsided, it is time to figure out what to do. The following are some things you can do for your teen if they are facing DWI charges.

Don’t Panic

The first thing you need to do if your child is charged with a DWI is to not panic. Teens will tend to follow their parent’s lead. If their parents are freaking out, they will too. Try to remain calm during this situation. This will help relieve the stress and emotions your teen is feeling.

Obtain a Copy of the Official Police Report

Law enforcement officers are required by law to write up an official police report. The official police report will detail what lead up to the traffic stop, what was observed by law enforcement, and what happened. All of this information can help parents decide what to do if their child is facing a DWI charge.

Official police reports are usually available at the police station, and can be requested anywhere from five to ten days after the incident. The process for requesting the police report will vary depending on the rules and regulations of the police station handling the case, but will typically require you to know the name of the person being charged, the date of the incident, and where the traffic stop took place.

Hire a DWI Attorney to Represent Your Teen

Many people assume they can work the ins and outs of the legal system themselves, but hiring a DWI attorney can simplify the process and ease the stress and frustration you may feel. DWI attorneys are trained to represent those who are facing possible charges that can come from driving while intoxicated.

If you are considering hiring an attorney for your child, remember you will want to make sure that the attorney knows and understand the local DWI laws. For example, if your child’s DWI stop was in the state of New York, you should hire a New York DWI attorney as they know the laws of the state of New York.

When your child calls you from the police station for help with a DWI there is only so much you can do. You can help guide them through this situation by hiring an attorney like from this one, and not panicking, but ultimately it is an experience that your child will have to go through on their own.

Comments are closed.

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 LinkedIn 0 StumbleUpon 0 Email -- 0 Flares ×