A fabric softener is not only good for making our clothes feel soft and smell good. It has many other uses, making it a versatile cleaning agent. I have tried some of it’s brilliant uses and I’m pretty satisfied with the results. Here are some of them…
1) Use it to erase stubborn hard water stains. Remove dulling soap scum and stains on metal fixtures and sink by dabbing fabric softener on the area, then wipe with damp cloth. The softener has fatty acids that quickly dissolve the alkaline stains. Plus, the clear coating that remains on the surfaces will prevent mineral and soap residue from sticking, keeping them clean longer.
2) When dusting, use a cloth dampened with a dab of fabric softener, the lubricant makes the debris adhere to the cloth, picking up every last particle on the first swipe. Your dusting time will be cut in half plus, the fabric softener will leave an invisible layer of positive electrons, so dust and grime won’t stick to your furniture.
3) Remove hairspray buildup on the barrel of your curling iron by diluting 1 tbs of liquid fabric softener in 1/3 cup warm water. Allow the iron to cool then use a cotton swab to apply the solution to the barrel. The conditioning agents will break down the glue-like bond of styling products so you can easily wipe them off.
4) Prevent paintbrushes from stiffening by soaking them for 3 to 5 minutes in a can or bucket filled with hot water and a couple of drops of fabric softener. Rinse and wipe dry.
5) Peel off wallpaper with ease by combining a capful of liquid fabric softener and 1 quart of water in a bucket. Dip a sponge in the solution and use it to dampen the wallpaper. Let it soak for 20 minutes. The lubricant in the softener will loosen the glue so the wallpaper will practically peel off by itself.
6) Freshen your car by combining 2 tsp of liquid fabric softener and 1 quart of water then pour into a spray bottle. Shake, then lightly spritz the upholstery. Allow to dry completely. The fabric softener will eliminate the odor and infuse the car interior with the sweet scent.